Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
about Tenant Screening
- How do I sign up for the ScreeningWorks service?
- What is included in each "Applicant Screen"?
- Do I receive the full credit report or FICO credit score?
- Do I have to commit to a certain usage amount or period of time?
- How do I pay for the ScreeningWorks service?
- How much does each applicant screen cost?
- Can I purchase only pieces of the ScreeningWorks service?
- How long does it take to process an applicant?
- What information do I need from my applicant to begin the screening process?
- What information will you need from me, the "screener"?
- How can a company sign up to use ScreeningWorks services?
- Why do you need my SSN?
- Does Experian Precise ID affect my personal credit score?
- Why am I having trouble signing up?
- Does ScreeningWorks provide a decision recommendation?
- Where does ScreeningWorks get its data?
- Why aren't Criminal and Eviction searches not included in all states?
- What type of security does ScreeningWorks utilize?
1. Q: How do I sign up for the ScreeningWorks service?
A: Simply go to the "Join" tab and follow the instructions. It will take less than 15 minutes to complete the process. Once completed, you may begin screening applicants immediately.
2. Q: What is included in each "Applicant Screen"?
A: Depending on the state where your applicant is coming from, ScreeningWorks offers a variety of different product package combinations consisting of: Multi-State Eviction, Multi-State Criminal, Credit Evaluation, Address Search, National Sex Offender Registry, Social Security Number Fraud Check, and OFAC - US Treasury Dept. Database Watch. The total cost is $29.95 or less. Please note the screening state is based on your applicant's address. View a full sample screening report and visit our Pricing and Product tab.
3. Q: Do I receive the full credit report or FICO credit score?
A: No; in compliance with the National Credit Bureaus' consumer information protection requirements, the ScreeningWorks service is unable to provide a full credit report or a FICO credit score. In its place, ScreeningWorks has developed an easy-to-use and understand credit evaluation scale based on YARDI Resident Screening's over 20 years of experience evaluating credit for millions of rental tenants. An applicant's "Credit Evaluation Risk" falls in a scale with ratings: Minimal, Elevated, or Serious Credit Risk. YARDI Resident Screening uses a unique scoring system specifically geared towards evaluating credit for tenancy. Factors include: How recent was the credit problem? What type of credit problem was it? How much money was involved? And, for late payments, how late was it? This customized scoring system offers the best way to predict how they will perform as tenants at your property. View our full description of our Credit Evaluation. View a full sample screening report.
4. Q: Do I have to commit to a certain usage amount or period of time?
A: Absolutely not. ScreeningWorks is a pay-as-you-go service.
5. Q: How do I pay for the ScreeningWorks service?
A: ScreeningWorks is a pay-as-you-go service with no invoicing. We accept all major credit cards including American Express, VISA, MasterCard, and Discover Card. ScreeningWorks does not accept prepaid credit cards, gift cards or checks.
6. Q: How much does each applicant screen cost?
A: $29.95 or less, depending on the state. Please note the screening state is based on your applicant's address. Check for your applicant's state pricing by going to our Pricing and Product tab . View a full sample screening report.
7. Q: Can I purchase only pieces (ie just the Credit Evaluation) of the ScreeningWorks service?
A: No; the ScreeningWorks service was built upon extensive market research into the small landlord and property manager marketplace. This research told us that landlords prefer a complete, full picture of their applicants. To view the package description for your Screening State please see our Pricing and Product tab. View a full sample screening report.
8. Q: How long does it take to process an applicant?
A: 90 seconds or less. If there are any potential Criminal Records for your applicant, our Public Records Team will manually cross-check the records for you. You will receive the Criminal portion of the report within 24 hours.
9. Q: What information do I need from my applicant to begin the screening process?
A: You will need the applicant's DOB, SSN, legal name and legal address.
10. Q: What information will you need from me, the "screener"?
A: You will need to enter your SSN, legal name and legal address to create an account.
11. Q: How can a company sign up to use ScreeningWorks services?
A: A company simply needs to choose one individual to create the account. Once the account is created, the username and password can be shared with other employees. Or each employee could create their own account since it is free to do so.
12. Q: Why do you need my SSN?
A: Entering your SSN is necessary in order to run an Experian Precise ID check, which will electronically verify your identity by asking you questions based on your credit history. This is a secure Experian service to help authenticate the identity of every client who uses our website.
13. Q: Does Experian Precise ID affect my personal credit score?
A: ScreeningWorks utilizes a secure Experian service to help verify and authenticate the identity of every client who uses our website to screen tenants. This does not put an inquiry on the client's credit report nor does it affect the client's FICO credit score in any way.
14. Q: Why am I having trouble signing up?
A: Several possible reasons may include:
- Make sure you are entering your legal information including full name and address.
- Make sure you answer each of the 5 Experian Precise ID credit questions correctly- you may attempt to pass this ID check 3 times in 24 hours. (The system will lock you out after 3 attempts, and you will need to return the next day to try again.)
- The Experian Precise ID system is down and you will need to try again in a few hours. Try again here Join Now!
- Make sure you do not press the browser 'Back' button or the 'Refresh' button at any point during the process. Also do not walk away from your computer for an extended period of time during the sign up process as this may lock you out of the system and you will need to start again.
15. Q: Does ScreeningWorks provide a recommendation of whether or not to accept an applicant?
A: No, ScreeningWorks simply provides you with comprehensive information and insight into each prospective applicant. ScreeningWorks supports your resident decision making.
16. Q: Where does ScreeningWorks get its data?
- Credit Evaluation - ScreeningWorks will access and evaluate credit history from one of the three National Credit Bureaus.
- Multi-State Criminal, Multi-State Eviction, and National Sex Offender - ScreeningWorks receives data and information from each state that participates in the multi - state databases. However, the data received is dependent upon what each jurisdiction within the state is willing to provide and therefore varies from state to state.
- Address Search - Address Search is powered by a database that pulls address information from many sources, including postal address records, financial institutions, utility service providers, and many more. The result is a more comprehensive and up-to-date picture of where the applicant is moving from and where they have lived.
- OFAC - "Office of Foreign Assets Control" maintained by the US Treasury Department
- SSN Fraud - Provides actionable warning messages from the credit bureaus that may indicate that your applicant has committed fraudulent activity or identity theft.
17. Q: Why is Multi-State Criminal and/or Multi-State Eviction data not included in all the state packages?
A: Unfortunately, there are some states within the U.S. that do not have readily available, instantaneous access to Criminal and/or Eviction data, thus they may not be offered by ScreeningWorks for those states. Please note that your screening state is based on your applicant's address. To view the package for each state please see our Pricing and Product tab.
18. Q: What type of security does ScreeningWorks utilize?
A: ScreeningWorks and YARDI Resident Screening utilize some of the most advanced technology for Internet security available today. When you Join and access your account, sensitive information is encrypted with industry standard Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) 128-bit encryption. As part of our secure environment, ScreeningWorks and YARDI Resident Screening undergo regular, stringent, third-party auditing and certification of all of our security practices, both real and electronic by a leading security services corporation. Credit Card information is stored and secured with an industry leading provider of electronic payment management services. This provider was chosen primarily for its stellar reputation within the industry for facilitating and completely securing electronic payments and other sensitive information.